Re: tlug: Re: Xconfig problems

<Shigeo Honda>

I had a same PC 'FMV-590DE' as you have now. It  was impossible to work with
X-window at that time.  I guess Witek Power 9100 video card is now supported by
latest XFree86-3.3.6 release....

Update XFree86 in your linux box then try again. I prefer XFree86Setup to
configre X windows. It's easy to use, GUI setup utility.

</Shigeo Honda>

After updating to potato I tried to use XF86Setup, but the graphics did not
work: first I got vertikal black and white stripes, then a white screen with a
black frame, then that black frame became broader on the left side and then
nothing happened. I could kill it with ctrl-alt-backspace, a display similar in
design to the XF86Setup (before starting the xserver that any card should be
capable of displaying) appeared: "The program is running on a different virtual
terminal. Please switch to the correct virtual terminal."
Below it the console said:"X connection to  :7.0 broken (explicit kill or server
shutdown)."

I then used xf86config, found the Weitek Power 9100 thing (when reading previous
mails again I had all of a sudden the idea that I should have checked this
before upgrading to potato, one of Selva's mails, which I did not understand in
its full significance at that time, said that Weitek Power 9100 was supported),
entered also my vertical sync rate and video ram etc., but when I checked the
XF86Config file it said the vertical sync rate was (null) and the video ram was
commented out!? There was also some ^Q somewhere that looked suspicious. I
corrected the vertical sync rate but left the rest as it was, did startx and got
the blinking garbage again.

Any advice?

If none I will try my luck on that Thinkpad, which might be a better idea anyway
..  Quite educational, this all, but I would love to get it running and to
work...

Thanks you all so much for your advice
agai

Next Meeting (w/ YLUG): June 16 (Fri) 19:00 Mizonoguchi Marui Family 12F
Next Technical Meeting: July 8 (Sat)  13:30 Topic: TBA