Re: tlug: directions

Hi,

Thomas O'Dowd wrote:
>okay, rpms aside, here is a question for you. Where is linux going and
>where do you want it to go (today/tomorrow/the day after)? It seems from
>the rpm discussion that people don't particularly want mr doesn'twannaknow
>to end up using it as his desktop for various (mostly security related)
>reasons, but is it heading that way?
Linux for the masses is a bad thing, for the reasons mentioned above and others
but thanks to the efforts of certain companies (*Cough* Redhat *Cough* Corell
*Cough*) it is undoubtedly headded that way.  I'd rather it not head in any
specific direction, but then again since I'm one of those types who compiled
99% of the binaries on his system by hand (The notable exception being Quake 2)
I don't really care that much (Plus NetBSD's getting SMP support ... :-P )

>There will always be a distro for those who wanna know everything of what's
>going on by the very nature of linux.
I would plug GFL/BUILD here (For obvious or not so obvious reasons), but
these days I've come to realise that one of the main problems with the cruft
in Linux today is Distributions (Think all this is a good thing? Look at the
BSD's).

>what is wrong with the don'tcares using that distro of linux?
It's a matter of beleifs.  (Ok, so I'm an elitist) Then again I take bigger
issue with people choosing Linux not because of what little merits it may have
but because it sounds cool and is `31337'.

Yours,

--
Austin K. Kurahone
Tokyo Linux Users Group / Green Frog Linux Maintainer / BUILD Linux Project

Ps: I'll be off to the US for 3 months this Sunday, so I won't be making
the TLUG meetings.
Next Meeting (w/ YLUG): June 16 (Fri) 19:00 Mizonoguchi Marui Family 12F
Next Technical Meeting: July 8 (Sat)  13:30 Topic: TBA