Re: tlug: telnet: how to get a process to stay alive after disco

On 26-May-2000 shimpei@example.com wrote:
>> I want to get a process started via telnet and have it finish on its own
>> after I have disconnected and just collect the error messages. How do I
>> do that?
> Use nohup.
>
> bash:
> nohup myprog > errorlog 2>&1 &
>
> zsh:
> nohup myprog >& errorlog 2>&1 &
> disown %1
>
> tcsh:
> nohup myprog >& errorlog &
>
> The error messages get deposited in the errorlog file.

The problem with nohup is that it requires some forethought in that you start
the program with it. If you've already started the program (without nohup) and
it still hasn't finished by the time you need to logout, use disown (only with
bash). Disown will make the owner of the process init instead of the shell you
started it in.
Stuart Luppescu         -=-=-  University of Chicago
ºÍʸ ¤ÈÃÒÆàÈþ¤ÎÉã(EUC)  -=-=-  s-luppescu@example.com
http://www.consortium-chicago.org/people/sl/sl.html
       ICQ #21172047  AIM: psycho7070
Computer programmers never die, they just get lost in the processing.
>> Sent on 28-May-2000 at 12:59:50 with xfmail
Next Nomikai Meeting: June 16 (Fri), 19:00   Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting: July 8 (Sat) 13:30   Topic: TBA