tlug: Still no procmail

  Having forgotten to 'turn off' the blessed ~/.forward file,
I inadvertently lost two incoming email messages just a while ago.
One was my last to tlug, I assume, but the other was also from tlug.
If it was a response to my problem, could you resend it privately.

  Anyhow, I have spent yet another hour on this, and I'm going to
stop for a while and commit hara-kiri under the pomegranate tree in
the garden, which is just beginning to flower.

  Sorry for jumping the gun and calling for help before I had had
a good look at the mini-faq.  I have pursued all the leads in there.

 1. Installed the latest version rpm (3.14) that comes with RH 6.2 in
the obviously vain hope that RedHat's original miscompile might have
been the problem, and have been fixed.  NO LUCK.  In any case my
home directory does not appear to be world-writeable.

 2. I found some documentation for 'smrsh', the restricted shell
that 'sendmail' is using in this RH6.0 chaos that I'm using.  None
is installed by RH6.0, of course.  (I presume this is because of
'security concerns' ;-).

 3. I have done what seemed to be necessary to make 'smrsh' happy,
i.e. creating an /usr/adm/sm.bin directory and doing this:

[root@example.com /]# cd /usr/adm/sm.bin
[root@example.com sm.bin]# ln -s /usr/bin/procmail procmail
[root@example.com sm.bin]# ls -l
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root   17 May 21 13:20 procmail -> /usr/bin/procmail

  I have tried specifying the file to 'exec' in ~/.forward as
/usr/bin/procmail , /usr/adm/sm.bin/procmail , and even just plain
procmail, but to no avail.  I still have the still error message that I
started out with a couple of hours ago:

	sh: exec not available for sendmail programs
	554 "|exec /usr/adm/sm.bin/procmail" ... Service unavailable

This is going nowhere fast.   Any suggestions?  I suppose I could
sendmail.cf to use /bin/sh instead of this bloody 'smrsh', but that
might be unwise.  I wonder.

Dennis McMurchy,
Sointula, B.C. / Tojinmachi, Fukuoka
Canada           Japan

Next Nomikai Meeting: June 16 (Fri), 19:00   Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting: July 8 (Sat) 13:30   Topic: TBA