Re: tlug: Japan Crypto Law

I assume you cannot download it because of a DNS verification from their
site to stop foreigners from getting the software?

I am not aware that Japan has any crypto-laws regarding the importation of
such software? Anyone?

Here's a simple trick to fake out a DNS verification:
1) Use a U.S. based proxy.
Done. The DNS will pick up the proxy as the requestor, and verify it as
being domestic.

There are serveral hundred public proxies (ok maybe 10s)... one even offered
ironically by MIT (be kinda funny to use MIT's proxy to fake out MIT's
reverse DNS for a pgp download - "Hey Mr. Anonymous, you're here on campus?
- sure go ahead and download it!").
If setting up a proxy is a pain (in the case if you are behind a firewall)
don't fret. Try www.anonymizer.com, it's a web based proxy, while although
somewhat slow, reverse DNS verifies that you are based in California....
<ahem> *cough* *cough*

However, I must remind you that you will have to answer all questions to
download such software untruthfully, and quite possibly break American law
(not that any of the banned contries would be typically concerned about that
issue). In Japan, however, I think clicking on any buttons in a web browser
does not constitue legal bond.

Of course you use this information at your own risk, and if you get
caught.... you never heard of tlug. Got it? :^)

Bryan
(too cheap for real e-mail)

>hi guys,
>
>      i'm new here.. btw how do i get pgp... er is it available worldwide..
>.. i
>saw one from www.pgp.org i thing.. but i cant download it.. thanks..

Next Nomikai Meeting: June 16 (Fri), 19:00   Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting: July 8 (Sat) 13:30   Topic: TBA