Re: tlug: GeForce and Linux

On Fri, 12 May 2000, Graham R. Briggs wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I recently replaced my old Ati Card with a nice else GeForce256 model, and
> downloaded the nVidia driver for Linux as an .rpm. However, when I go into
> my now VGA-16 KDE, and click on the rpm, it does nothing. I guess this is a
> request for general update info. Thanks.
> Graham

XFree86 3.3.6 or so has the driver built into the SVGA server.  I have a
Geforce myself.  Complete no-brainer, just start the SVGA server, it
detects the card, and it works.

Clicking on an RPM doesn't make X actually use that server, you have to
set the X symbolic link and a bunch of other stuff (ie, change modes/color
depths in XF86Config).

I guess the distribution manufacturers have finally succeeded in getting
the general public to view Linux as they view Windows.  Let's just hope
that it doesn't follow to its logical conclusion wherein everyone that's
really 'into' computers will jump ship and go to FreeBSD, Solaris, HP/UX,
AIX, or SCO.

Well, ok, nobody in their right mind goes TO AIX or SCO, but you get the
picture.

Scott M. Stone, CCNA <sstone@example.com>
UNIX Systems and Network Engineer
Taos - The SysAdmin Company

Next Technical Meeting: May 13 (Sat) 13:30 Temple University Japan
* Topic: Crypto and Security	Speaker: Chris Sekiya
Next Nomikai Meeting: June 16 (Fri), Tengu TokyoEkiMae.