Re: tlug: X-Mailer: USANET web-mailer (34FM1.4.02C)

On Fri, May 12, 2000 at 05:03:45PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> Um, Chris, didn't that exceed your 5 minute limit?

I didn't write most of it -- providing the reference doesn't count ;)

> ipchains[1] -A input -s TheWildWorld -d thishost xfs:xfs+20 -j DENY
>
> is your friend.

Never, ever, ever use the firewall as a crutch.

> # If you touch this file your shell will segfault and overwrite your
> # kernel with the entire lyrics to "Eve of Destruction".  So don't.

Excellent idea.  I'm stealing it ;)

> You shouldn't allow X connections either direction outside of the area you
> administer personally as far as I can see, if you're paranoid.

Thank God ssh encapsulates X connections.  Still not quite good enough, but
there's a lot of software out there that is _only_ configurable via the
damnable GUI.

-- Chris
Next Technical Meeting: May 13 (Sat) 13:30 Temple University Japan
* Topic: Crypto and Security	Speaker: Chris Sekiya
Next Nomikai Meeting: June 16 (Fri), Tengu TokyoEkiMae.