Re: tlug: mounting problem: CD-RW

On Mon, 24 Apr 2000 ulrike@example.com wrote:

>  Thanks for the replies regarding mounting the zip, /dev/sda4 worked. My newest
>  problem is mounting a CD-RW. There is no problem when I mount a normal CD, but
>  when I try to mount a RW with 'mount -t iso9660 /dev/scd0 /cdrom' I get all
>  kinds of error messages which I tried to capture unsuccessfully (which is the
>  right manpage to read?  ' > file' did not work, I remember having heard

If your shell is bash,  `man bash' (look for REDIRECTION)

For bash, to redirect both std error and std output use
your_command >errorfile 2>&1

or even simpler,

your_command &>errorfile

>  something of error message redirection but cannot find the right manpage) so I
>  copy them by hand (sorry for possbile probable mistakes):
>
>  mount: block evice /dev/scd0 is write-protected, mounting readonly
>  Disc change detected.
>  isofs_read_super: bread failed, dev 0b:00 iso_blknum 16 block 32
>  mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdc0, or too many
>  mounted file systems

I am just guessing:

You probably have a blank disk with no filesystem on it. If you are
trying to write something on to the disk, use a cd writer program
(eg., cdrecord, xcdroast, ..) The writer programs will  directly access
/dev/scd0 using scsi commands. Do take a look at CD-Writing-HOWTO.

Happy burning !

Selva

Next Nomikai Meeting: April 20 (Thu) Linux Conference 2000 Spring Ed.
Next Technical Meeting: May 13 (Sat) 13:30 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD