Re: tlug: Samba Installation

> The next step is to get Samba working so I can do file sharing.
> I have followed the Samba HOWTO and set up my smb.conf file with what I think are correct values. The problem is that I cannot view the network computers (neither windows nor linux) in Network Computer in Win Explorer. All that appears is the Network Neighborhood (全体). When I double click on this, I get an error msg saying that it cannot 'read' the network (I forget what the Japanese is exactly).

This is probably too obvious to be the problem, but have you turned Windows file sharing on for the drives/partitions that you want to access?   You can do it by right-clicking on the drive/partition in Explorer (while sitting at the machine you want to access), then selecting Properties->Sharing.  From there you can turn sharing on or off and select some other filesharing settings.

I only mention it because I've forgotten to do this before.

Drew Poulin

Next Nomikai Meeting: April 20 (Thu) Linux Conference 2000 Spring Ed.
Next Technical Meeting: May 13 (Sat) 13:30 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD