Re: tlug: Debian installation - scsi problem

> The cabling is probably  okay if it works under windows...  Still note
> that a device may appear to "work" even without proper termination
> but it will be unreliable/flaky.
>
> Anyway your cd is not getting detected. Have you checked the termination
> on the cd-drive itself?

I guess I am not 100% sure what "termination" means or how to check this ...

> Even after booting you can probe for a scsi device. For example if your
> cdrom has SCSI id = 5, issue the command
>
> echo "scsi add-single-device  0 0 5 0" > /proc/proc/scsi

I am also not quite sure how to find out about the id, but I remember having
seen "7" in some menu, so I tried the thing with 7 (and
with /proc/scsi/scsi, /proc/proc/scsi did not work). It replied with:

	scsi add-single-device 0 0 7 0

> Then 'cat /proc/scsi/scsi' or 'dmesg' to see whether the device got
> detected.

'cat /proc/scsi/scsi'  says:

	Attached devices: none

'dmesg' says in the last two lines:

	scsi singledevice 0 0 7 0
	VFS: Disk change detected on device 02:00

That made me optimistic, but when I tried to check this cdrom mounting thing
again I was reminded that I still don't know which command to use
since /dev/cdrom does not exist and I am just blindly copying commands ...

> By the way, what is the make of your cd drive?

I don't know, had a look in the manual but the model numbers there seemed to
refer to different models of the computer which come with or without CDROM. And
then someone might have put in another one, and I am not exaclty anti-static
today, quite the opposite with this god-knows-what-its-made-of pullover, and
usually afraid of opening any computer cases ... a fear I will have to overcome
soon ... but not today if might break something that I cannot pay for ...

Uli

Next Nomikai Meeting: April 20 (Thu) Linux Conference 2000 Spring Ed.
Next Technical Meeting: May 13 (Sat) 13:30 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD