Re: tlug: Debian installation - scsi problem

>     Ulrike> I am currently at work trying to install (for the first
>     Ulrike> time) Debian 2.1 on a
>
> Ooops, I should have keyed on "first-time Debian."

I should have mentioned at the beginning that I have just installed the base
system with the floppies...

> OK, I do have a saved /boot/config-2.2.10 with the following
> settings:

This also might explain why I have no file with "config" in its name in /boot?

> In /lib/modules/2.2.14/scsi you will have st.o, sg.o, and a couple of
> others I don't recognize.

Yes (just that mine is called /lib/modules/2.0.36/scsi):

NCR53c406a.o
g_NCR5380.o
ppa.o
sg.o
st.o

> OK, your CD-ROM is NOT being recognized.  This could be due to faulty
> termination.  Or it might just not be hooked up.

It worked with Windows with the same settings ("automatic") when I used the CD
to make the install floppies ...

>     Ulrike> know what the proper settings are. The Adaptec menu for
>     Ulrike> "Host Adapter SCSI Termination" gives three options:
>     Ulrike> automatic, enabled, disabled. Which is the correct
>     Ulrike> setting?
>
> "Automatic" should work.  If you have _both_ external and internal SCSI
> devices hooked up, you could try "disabled".  If you have only
> internal, or only external, devices hooked up, you could try enabled.

The CD is internal, I cannot see any external devices.

"Automatic" was the original setting, it is also marked with a * in the menu.
But this gives a warning:

(scsi0) <Adaptec AHA-294X Ultra SCSI host adapter> found at PCI 5/0
(scsi0) Narrow Channel, SCSI ID=7, 16/255 SCBs
(scsi0) Warning - detected auto-termination
(scsi0) Please verify driver detected settings are correct.
(scsi0) If not, then please properly set the device termination
(scsi0) in the Adaptec SCSI BIOS by hitting CTRL-A when prompted
(scsi0) during machine bootup.
(scsi0) Cables present (Int-50 NO, Ext-50 NO)
(scsi0) Downloading sequencer code... 419 instructions downloaded
Failed initialization of WD-7000 SCSI card!
scsi0 : Adaptec AHA274x/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast SCSI) 5.1.11/3.2.4
       <Adaptec AHA-294X Ultra SCSI host adapter>
scsi : 1 host.
scsi : detected total.

With "enabled" it booted only on the second attempt (maybe my fault? pressing
some buttons ...) and there was no warning, but still a failure and simply
mounting the cdrom with "mount -t iso9660 -r  /dev/cdrom /cdrom" did not work.
But as I now remember I mentioned before there also is no /dev/cdrom, so what
would be the proper way of trying to mount this thing? Anyway, here is a part
of dmesg:

(scsi0) <Adaptec AHA-294X Ultra SCSI host adapter> found at PCI 5/0
(scsi0) Narrow Channel, SCSI ID=7, 16/255 SCBs
(scsi0) Downloading sequencer code... 419 instructions downloaded
Failed initialization of WD-7000 SCSI card!
scsi0 : Adaptec AHA274x/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast SCSI) 5.1.11/3.2.4
       <Adaptec AHA-294X Ultra SCSI host adapter>
scsi : 1 host.
scsi : detected total.

With "disabled" it also did not boot on the second attempt, after which I did
not try anymore.

> If all cables are OK and the power is on, it could be termination.  If
> the CD-ROM is the ONLY device hooked to the SCSI adaptor, then both
> the adaptor (set "enabled" in the BIOS") and the CD-ROM (sorry, dunno
> 'bout this one but it's probably a jumper, you'll have to read the
> docs or call in the vendor if they didn't supply docs) should have
> termination.

Can I assume this is ok since it used to work with Windows? The docs, if I find
them, are in Japanese and my Japanese is still ma-ma, but I will get a
translator if neccessary ...

> If there are OTHER devices on the SCSI bus (hard drives, scanners,
> tapes, whatever) then we need to know in what order they appear on the
> internal bus (if any) and the external bus (if any).

Not to my knowldedge: the hard drives are all IDE, nothing else seems to be
connected from outside... or wait a minute ...this comes before the scsi
messages:

hda: QUANTUM LIGHTNING 730A, 696MB w/96kB Cache, CHS=708/32/63
hdb: QUANTUM FIREBALL540A, 519MB w/83kB Cache, CHS=528/32/63
hdc: WDC AC32500H, 2441MB w/128kB Cache, CHS=4960/16/63
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077
md driver 0.36.3 MAX_MD_DEV=4, MAX_REAL=8

Why is there only ide0 and ide1 when there are three hard drives? Shouldn't
there be ide2 as well? (Or maybe not?) And what this md driver?

Thanks a lot for all the help!!!

Uli

Next Nomikai Meeting: April 20 (Thu) Linux Conference 2000 Spring Ed.
Next Technical Meeting: May 13 (Sat) 13:30 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD