Re: tlug: How to make a little room for Windows again?

On Sun, 16 Apr 2000, Ulrike Schmidt wrote:

>  Maybe there was something crucial on the small disc ... RedHat says (also a
>  way to capture this? I did not get it with dmesg):

no idea ... not logged by syslog ?

>           checking filesystems
>           fsck.ext2Could this be a zero-length partition?
>           : Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read
>  while trying to open /dev/hda6
>
>  (Then it drops me to a shell and says the system will reboot when I leave
>  the shell ... just curious: what does that mean "leave the shell", how to
>  do that?)

exit

When you get the shell prompt try 'fdisk /dev/hda' and list the
partitions to see what is /dev/hda6. Also check /etc/fstab to see which
partitions on /dev/hda are set for mounting. You'll  have to edit
fstab as the partitions on hda (small disk) have now changed.

>  Just in case someone is interested:
>
>  >Then delete all the
>  >non dos partitions. AFAIK, except for some ancient versions, dos fdisk
>  >does not shy away from deleting non-fat (lean?) partitions if asked
>  >to :)
>
>  This was a bit more difficult than expected since I had a problem that
>  seems to have happened to others had as well:

>  The solution to this problem are undocumented switches that work with
>  FDISK. See   http://www.fdisk.com/fdisk/

Thanks for the info. In such cases, booting linux by floppy and deleting
the offending partions by linux fdisk would also work. But while
*creating* partitions it seems better to use an os-specific 'fdisk'.

Selva

Next Nomikai Meeting: April 20 (Thu) Linux Conference 2000 Spring Ed.
Next Technical Meeting: May 13 (Sat) 13:30 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD