Re: tlug: Debian installation - scsi problem

<selva>
   I guess that /dev/cdrom is linked to /dev/sdc (by the way it is sdc, not
   scd, isn't it?).
</selva>

In the installation instructions I used, which seem to be are a German
translation of a previous version of

http://www.debian.de/releases/slink/i386/install.en.txt

it was written that the first SCSI CD-ROM is named ``/dev/scd0''. In the
current version above it says:

* The first SCSI CD-ROM is named ``/dev/scd0'', also known as
  ``/dev/sr0''.

About /dev/sr0 the machine claims "special device /dev/sr0 does not exist".
BTW, I found out that /dev/cdrom does not exist either ...

<selva>
   It seems either the device name is wrong or the scsi driver is not loaded.

   First check the boot message to see whether the card is recognised at
   boot time.
</selva>

It seems to recognize the card, it prints (scsi0) in front of the warning
messages I tried to cite in my previous post (BTW, is there any way to capture
this? The interesting part flies by to quickly to copy everything by hand ...).
Then it prints: "Failed initialization of WD-7000 scsi card!" Then a line
starting with scsi0 and the name of the card. Then something like "scsi one
host" and then something about scsi again which I could not copy in time (see
request for capture above ...)

<selva>
   Check /proc/modules to see whether aic7xxx is listed or not.
</selva>

It's not:

nls_iso8859_1      1		1 (autoclean)
nls_cp437          1		1 (autoclean)
vfat               4		1 (autoclean)
sg                 1		0
cdrom              1		0

But sg was the module I selected among the scsi stuff ... and cdrom ... ???
(Austin, before you pick on me again ... what was that you quoted on the admin-
list about stupid or embarrassing questions being allowed? Pity that the
archive is not alive ..)

BTW, other question: I have just installed the base system, "more" and "less"
don't work, how can one look at a file in this situation? (I copied it on a
floppy and had a look at it on a different computer ...)

<selva>
   If not /sbin/modprobe aic7xxx.
</selva>

"can't locate module aic7xxx"

<selva>
   Check /proc/scsi/scsi to see whether the cd drive is detected.
</selva>

/proc/scsi/scsi says: "Attached devices: none"
Interesting for me who does not understand a thing is that there is also a
file /proc/scsi/aic7xxx ... ???

<selva>
   If it still doesn't work, I would think that /dev/cdrom is not linked to
   the correct device. The first scsi device is named /dev/sda, the second
   is /dev/sdb etc.. and partitions within are named /dev/sda1 to
   /dev/sda15 etc. (Has this changed in recent distributions?) If you dont
   have any other devices on the scsi bus, the cdrom may be on /dev/sda.
   Try mounting that instead of /dev/cdrom. Once you identify the correct
   device make /dev/cdrom a link to that. (ls -l /dev/sd* will show you all
   the sd device files you have -- whatever be the names, the first device
   has major,minor = 8,0, the second is 8,32 etc...)
</selva>

Mounting /dev/sda did not work. There are a lot of devices matching /dev/sd* ...

I just saw Stephen's message, will check that out now...

Thanks for all the help!

Uli

Next Nomikai Meeting: April 20 (Thu) Linux Conference 2000 Spring Ed.
Next Technical Meeting: May 13 (Sat) 13:30 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD