Re: tlug: graphics cards recommendations

On Sun, 2 Apr 2000, Micheal E Cooper wrote:

> As a further question to this... is AGP okay with this G400? The Red Hat HCL
> states that "No card should be considered to be AGP or VLB unless the
> listing specifies it.", but I did not see AGP on the list. Does this mean
> that I should use a PCI card if I want good Linux support?

AGP is definitely supported by XFree86, so as long as RH isn't doing
something really stupid in their installer, you should have no problem
using AGP.  For the definitive word on what is supported,
http://www.xfree86.org/ is your friend.  My G400 is an AGP, and I have
had no problems at all; it works great. Caveat: I have never installed a
graphical installer flavor of Linux on that box, but Matrox cards are
very well supported by X.  If the installer doesn't bite you, X itself
sure won't.

I think my position on Red Hat would be that if their installer couldn't
deal with a card as commonplace as an AGP G400, I would install
something that could.  Both the AGP and PCI flavors of the G400 are
supported by X, so nobody's installer should have any excuse.  However,
I would expect AGP to be pretty well supported, since it's downright
difficult to find PCI video boards these days, and AFAIK no new systems
ship with them.

Jonathan

Next Nomikai Meeting: April 20 (Thu) Linux Conference 2000 Spring Ed.
Next Technical Meeting: May 13 (Sat) 13:30 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD