Re: tlug: graphics cards recommendations

On Sun, 2 Apr 2000, Micheal E Cooper wrote:

> window, it is larger than the viewable area of my screen. So can anyone
> recommend a graphics card for Linux that is not only compatible but also
> enables full use of the card's capabilities?

I'm very happy with the Matrox Millenium G400.  This is the second
Matrox card I've used (the other was a Millenium II) and they have both
been great.  It should be a rule of thumb to not buy no-name video
cards, because saving a little money there is not worth it for the
potential problems.  Asus makes good motherboards, but their video cards
are no-name.  This is an area where you should really stick to major
brands that are on the HCL for the version of X that you have.  Also,
it's a good idea to check compatibility with not just the vendor's site,
but on the actual XFree86 HCL.

The whole problem you've had points up exactly why I think graphical
installers are bad, and wish vendors were not moving in that direction:
if the installer has a problem with your graphics card, you're stuck,
even if it would be supported by X once you got it installed.  My dad
had this same problem with a no-name card he had.  A G400 made a nice
cure, if the installer had been properly engineered to have a fallback
to the old-style Red Hat installer, this would not have been an issue.

Jonathan

Next Nomikai Meeting: April 20 (Thu) Linux Conference 2000 Spring Ed.
Next Technical Meeting: May 13 (Sat) 13:30 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD