tlug: keyboard layout

I recently changed the keyboard of my PC (I had a standard US keyboard, but
now I'm using a 104-key japanese kb). The location of some special
characters (like ; " : @) is different. How can I set linux to work with my
new keyboard? I think I can modify XF86Config file, but I don't know which
parameters change. If I just change XF86Config, the changes are valid if I
work in character mode?

Thanks in advance

Hector

Next Nomikai Meeting: April 20 (Thu) Linux Conference 2000 Spring Ed.
Next Technical Meeting: May 13 (Sat) 13:30 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD