Re: tlug: "boot partition too big" while installing RH6.1j - part 2

On Sat, 4 Mar 2000, Selva Nair wrote:

> I think this will not work as then the windows boot sector will be
> beyond 1024 cylinders and LILO will fail to boot windows.

And that's supposed to be a problem??  ;-)

> The 1024 cylinder limitation comes from LILO's dependence on BIOS
> to access the disk.

Speaking of which, does anyone know if that will be changed in some
future version of LILO?  System Commander seems to be able to boot
operating systems from anywhere on the disk, a feature which would be
convenient for LILO.

> So if one is moving the Windows partitions it will be better to create
> only a small boot partition within 1024 cylinders, and keep the rest of
> the linux wherever one wishes to, making sure that all boot sectors are
> within 1024 cylinders.

This is a good point. A relatively small C: drive could be in the first
1024, with a D: drive for the Windows apps (and an E: just for data
files, if desired) anywhere else.

Jonathan

Next Technical Meeting: March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: "What's new in Perl 5.6"
Guest speaker: Simon Cozens (TLUG Perl guru)
Next Nomikai Meeting: April 20 (Thu) Linux Conference 2000 Spring Ed.