Re: tlug: Missing modversions.h ?

More on modeversions.h :

Did some digging to find that modversions.h is built dynamically if
CONFIG_MODVERSIONS is chosen at config time. Then make dep will generate
the modversions.h along with other required dependencies.

Selva

On Thu, 2 Mar 2000, Selva Nair wrote:

>  On Thu, 2 Mar 2000, Jonathan Byrne wrote:
>
>  >
>  >  I'm trying to install VMWare (unfortunately, there is something I need
>  >  to run that only exists for TOOS or - in a flaky version - Solaris),
>  >  and during the install it has to rejigger itself to run with my
>  >  kernel (2.2.10), which it starts to do but winds up like this:
>  >
>  >  /usr/src/linux/include/linux/module.h:19: linux/modversions.h: No such file or directory
>  >  make[2]: *** [driver.o] Error 1
>  >  make[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/vmware/config/4409/vmmon-only/driver-2.2.10'
>  >  make[1]: *** [driver] Error 2
>  >  make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/vmware/config/4409/vmmon-only'
>  >  make: *** [auto-build] Error 2
>  >  make: Leaving directory `/tmp/vmware/config/4409/vmmon-only'
>  >  Unable to build the vmmon module.
>  >

>  As per kernel documentation, there is an option CONFIG_MODVERSIONS that
>  may be used to make the modules somewhat less dependent on the kernel
>  versions. If this is enabled, it seems module.h reads in modversions.h.
>
>  Although I too dont find it in stock kernel distributions (at least not
>  in the 2.0 series), I see this header file in the redhat 6.1 kernel
>  source. I can send this to you (and a couple of other files
>  modversions.h reads in ) or you can get it from redhat. But
>  I don't know whether it will work for you as redhat is known to fiddle
>  with the kernel sources.
>
>  Selva

Next Technical Meeting: March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: "What's new in Perl 5.6"
Guest speaker: Simon Cozens (TLUG Perl guru)
Next Nomikai Meeting:   April 21 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae