Re: tlug: networking woes

Selva,

Thanks for your reply. You were exactly right.

> >  I suspect that what's happening here is some script somewhere (likely
> >  /etc/pcmcia/network.opts) is setting my defaultroute to be localhost
> >  after I insert the card. There's a variable in the script
> >
> >  GATEWAY="127.0.0.1"
>
> You dont need this. The loop back is configured by
> ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1.
> >
> >  that appears to be responsible this behavior. If I comment it out, I
> >  can use ppp, but I can't use my local network. But, if it's there,
>
> Really ?

<sheepishly> Yep. *IF* one forgets to delete the offending default
route from the table and also forgets to restart the pcmcia-cs
services so that they'll re-read the configuration file in which I
commented out said gateway. Oops. Might have saved myself a great
deal of head scratching had I remembered to do that. </sheepishly>

That's what I get for running out of coffee at home.

Anyway, thanks for taking a look at it.

john

--
jseebach@example.com