tlug: Sound Blaster Live! (resend posted this from wrong account before)

Hi,
I started using Linux 7 days ago and still struggling to setup sound blaster
live!  It still doen't work.  I decied to put it off for a while but would
appreciate any advice if you happen to own the device.

here's the description
=======================================
the sound blaster live! card does work with win98

I followed the instructions on
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~distclai/sblive-howto.html
and
http://www.euronet.nl/~mailme/index3.html

and tried with Mandrake 7.0, Redhat 6.1, SuSE 6.3

with RedHat 6.1
I recompiled the kernel and turned off all the sound options except the
sound module support.
I compiled the latest soundblaster 0.4 beta driver from creative and
installed it.
modprobe emu10k1 worked successfully, the mixer worked and the LINE-IN
worked.  But PCM never worked.
It made noise for several seconds when I tried to play sound.

with Mandrake 7.0
Lothar detected the card but emu10k1 driver was missing.
I compiled the emu10k1 driver and installed it but it complained it was
compiled for a kernel different from the current one.
I changed the current kernel but then 'modprobe emu10k1' didn't work,
complaining about missing modules.
I tried to recompile the kernel from the source provided by Mandrake but the
compilation couldn't complete becuase of some errors in sound related source
files.

with SuSE 6.3
I didn't spend much time with this one but it didn't detect the Sound
Blaster Live! card automatically.  ( I was hoping because I saw the emu10k1
drivers on SuSE distribution FTP )

----
motherboard: ABIT BP6 with dual 400 Mhz celeron overclocked to 500Mhz ( This
has worked flawlessly for 6 months and didn't improve the situation when I
disabled overclock)
memory: 128MB

If you have any suggestion, I would really appreciate your replies!!

Thanks in advance,
Yasuaki Kudo

Next Technical Meeting: March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: "What's new in Perl 5.6"
Guest speaker: Simon Cozens (TLUG Perl guru)
Next Nomikai Meeting:   April 21 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae