Re: tlug: Apache httpd?

You(YAMAGATA Hiroo) wrote:
> I started to play with Apache today, and it works fine, except that when I
> do "ps -aux", I see that there are 11 httpd's running.
>
> I thought this was too much, so I "kill -9"ed a bunch of them, but then it
> started acting strange, like not displaying some pictures.
>
> So, is the 11 httpds correct? But why so many? I looked at the docs but
> didn't quite figure out where too read...
>
> Nothing important, but I'd appreciate it if someone could explain it for me.

It is correct. Apache pre-forks a few copies of itself to handle
multiple requests without having to use threads. The exact number of
copies is configurable, so if you aren't expecting to be Slashdotted
anytime soon, tweak down the appropriate variables, which are
StartServers, MaxSpareServers, and MinSpareServers. Read
http://www.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html for an explanation.

--
Shimpei Yamashita                   <http://www2.gol.com/users/shimpei/>
perl -w -e '$_="not a perl hacker\n";$q=qq;(.);x9;$qq=qq;345123h896789,;;$s=