tlug: Fetchmail question...

... ok, here's a question.. and could be a potential DOS attack if there's
no solution:

I got a message from someone @example.com or something like that -- in any
case, the domain didn't exist/had no MX record.  So fetchmail sees this
and tries to reply to the sender telling them of the error (!) .. anyway,
by the time it's timed out trying to find a non-existent MX record, the
POP3 connection to my ISP has also timed out, so the whole read fails.
This kept happening all weekend... I eventually had to read the mails in
with netscape's pop3 client, which doesn't try to AutoBitch back at the
sender.  This flushed out the queue at my ISP and allowed me to continue
using fetchmail from that point on.

My question is, though, is there a way to turn off the AutoBitch in
fetchmail so that it won't try to go look up that bogus domain?

It seems to me that anyone could spoof a mail from a bogus domain and
send it to a fetchmail user, and then that user's mail would be hosed
until they figured out what had happened....

Scott M. Stone, CCNA <sstone@example.com>
UNIX Systems and Network Engineer
Taos - The SysAdmin Company

Next Technical Meeting: March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: "What's new in Perl 5.6"
Guest speaker: Simon Cozens (TLUG Perl guru)
Next Nomikai Meeting:   April 21 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae