RE: tlug: The Debian Potato

    FB> Once I get this sorted out, I'll get on to Debian with a
    FB> problem report.

Known lossage.  Bugs #57894 and #58051.  You can send a "me-too" if
you want, though.  Then they might do something about it instead of
saying "I think that got fixed in the last rev, why don't you try that
one" (which turned out to be even more broken, see below ;-).

I don't know how to fix it off-hand, I managed the install using
Windose to FTP to the hard drive under the 2.2.6 install.
Install-from-mountable got broken in 2.2.7.  :-(  Haven't heard
anything since 2/20.

So floppy install seems the way to go.

    FB> Sorry for time wasted by list members on this.

Hey, it's not your fault I got bit by this, it happened before you
came to Tokyo.  :-P

Apparently PCMCIA installs are really hard.  Turbolinux definitely
lost big on this (pre-3.0 betas), and I've heard anguish from people
using other distros (SuSE and RH, maybe?).

I don't understand why it's so hard, except that the normal "build
everything into the kernel" approach doesn't work (license
incompatibility) so that the install maintainers have to remember to
put their socks on _under_ their shoes.  That may be too tough....

Next Technical Meeting: March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: "What's new in Perl 5.6"
Guest speaker: Simon Cozens (TLUG Perl guru)
Next Nomikai Meeting:   April 21 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae