Re: tlug: fetchmail flushes flushing Laszlo's career down the drain?

    Selva> If it is that bad he can run a filter on the server side to weed

Maybe he can, but maybe he can't.  I don't know if GOL still allows
procmail in ~/.forward.  Last I heard they were trying to get rid of
all shell access for normal PPP users.  I don't think those users even
have true home directories any more.

    Selva> out those offending messages (say by piping thru an address
    Selva> parser like that of fetchmail) and simply mail them to
    Selva> himself. Ugly indeed...

Actually, this option is designed into fetchmail because it supports
the ETRN protocol.  What fetchmail does is ring up the SMTP listener
on the host and says "send my mail to ...".  Then the listener starts
up an outgoing process to send the mail.  This is basically only
supported by very recent versions of Sendmail.  But GOL doesn't
support this AFAICT.

There are obvious security issues, since SMTP doesn't really provide
for authentication.  But they could probably find a way to arrange to
only send it over the (authenticated) PPP line.  Question is, how many
people are in Tony's situation?  It's probably not really worth GOL's
trouble, since very few people would use it.

Next Nomikai Meeting: February 18 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting:  March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD