tlug: fetchmail flushes flushing Laszlo's career down the drain?

    Tony> other OSes are probably lenient enough to allow them to be
    Tony> received.

Obviously.  So what?

The addresses you posted earlier are REQUIRED by RFC 822 to be
interpreted in a different way than the author intends them.  Some of
them HAVE NO LEGAL INTERPRETATION WHATSOEVER.  It is not at all
surprising that fetchmail gives up on mail containing such headers.

    Tony> This makes me the "troublemaker", in a perverse way.

Perverse is right.  If this is making trouble, Japan needs more
troublemakers.  Desperately.  By the planeload.  But then, I can't
imagine this is news to you....

Just call it "kokusaika".

    Tony> Any way of telling fetchmail "I don't care what's in the
    Tony> 'from' field or even if there is one - just bring it in"?

It doesn't look like it.  fetchmail needs to look at that header for
several purposes besides the running commentary as it downloads.
Since it is not an SMTP receiver, it MUST read those headers to get
sender information.  You could try the "no rewrite" option, but I
suspect that fetchmail just assumes it's going to look at the address,
and defeats rewrite later.

You could try fetchmail's ETRN mode.  See fetchmail(1) and RFC 1985.
This forces the remote smtpd, _if_ it understands ETRN, to wake up and
do a spool flush directly to your box's rmstpd.  This probably means
you have to stay connected until all mail is received, and I don't
know how you figure that out.  fetchmail(1) isn't very specific.

In any case, it doesn't look like GOL's sendmail at mx*.mail.gol.com
does ETRN.  And popmail.gol.com doesn't even speak SMTP.  Maybe if you
ask Jonathan real nice....

Or, if GOL still supports procmail for its users, you could try
searching for escape sequences and 8-bit characters in the headers,
and use sed to just strip those babies out.  Alternatively, if you
_know_ that the mail will contain a legal Return-Path or other
originator header besides From, you could use sed or formail to just
drop those on the floor.

You could just try POP-capable MUAs (VM, Gnus, Pine, etc) until you
find one that will accept those hosed addresses.  Once you've got the
stuff in your INBOX, you can disconnect.

You could always just run Windows.

Time to go to bed.

Next Nomikai Meeting: February 18 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting:  March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD