RE: tlug: Linux on the university Win LAN

>Hm.  I don't think it's that bad, particularly if you start with a
>distro with a reasonably flexible package manager (Debian dpkg +
>dselect is fine, I'm sure there are others) and have plenty of disk
>space to allocate to supporting the terminals

Very fair.  I should have noted that I most definitely
did NOT do my homework before I began setting things
up, and I deserved the burdens that kicked in as a result.

Still, there are lots of little gotchas that can crop up,
even after you've gotten things tamped down.  One thing
that bit me was that after I got a few terminals set up nicely,
I encountered a set of machines in the lab that had
network cards for which I couldn't find a driver.  We solved
the problem in the end, but if you ran into that at the beginning
of a class session on someone else's network, it could pretty
well ruin your day, I would think.

But yes, with proper planning and in the right environment,
I admit that NFS-root clients should be less work to maintain
than a bunch of separate systems.

Next Nomikai Meeting: February 18 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting:  March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD