tlug: TV tuner vs. Emacs (bizarre)

OK, this is really odd.  maybe.
I bought a Hauppauge WinTV 401 card.  Works great (in Windows).
	1.  How do I get it to work in Linux?  I'm reasonably sure it's a
            Bt848 based card (which is why I bought that particular one).

2.  and this is the weird part.  Ever since I installed it, the cursor
does funky stuff in Emacs:

1.  doesn't show up at all during normal typing
2.  shows up when the input focus is in a different window
3.  shows up when the cursor is inside commented text when using my C
bindings
4.  exhibits this behavior for all users on my system (all 4 of them..)
all with different .emacs, some without .emacs
5.  when cursor is over *existing* text, the TEXT LETTER will be changed
to the color that the cursor is supposed to be, but no change in the
background.

I'm not using double-byte or anything, either, this is standard GNU Emacs
19 running under X.

I'm not sure if the TV tuner card is responsible (how could it be??) but
it's irritating to have to code in console mode :)

Anyone have any ideas?

Scott M. Stone, CCNA <sstone@example.com>
UNIX Systems and Network Engineer
Taos - The SysAdmin Company

Next Nomikai Meeting: February 18 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting:  March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD