Re: tlug: LAN Card: Part 2

Jack Morgan (yojack@example.com) wrote:

> I have a Allied Telesis, centre COM LA-PCI. When I bought it, the box said
> LAN card. I just assummed that is what it was. Is it just an Ethernet card
> with a LAN interface?

Umm, are you sure you want to be messing with this?  :-)  Really, though,
You have your terminology backwards, though: what you have is a LAN
card with an Ethernet interface.  A LAN adapter could use several
interfaces, but Ethernet is the only thing you are likely to actually
see these days, unless you stumble into some old legacy token ring
installation somewhere (that would be scary :-)

>     JB> RTA-50i (AKA Net Volante)
>
> This is the router I have with 128k accsess.

OK, what you need to do is configure this with a dial-up profile
in the router to connect to the GOL POP that you use.  You can
configure multiple profiles if you connect to different places, and have
one of them be the default.

>     JB> check the router docs
>
> I have but they are in Japanese and my Japanese isn't good enogh to read
> them!

Yeah, unfortunately Yamaha appears to only sell their ISDN routers in
Japan, so the docs aren't available in English.  A very nice router,
though, quite reliable and pretty easy to set up.

I may be able to help you with the setup, I'll contact you off-list
with some info.  If you haven't heard from me on that by Friday, drop
me a line and remind me.

> I have this book and will reread again. Maybe, I'm missing a simple point.
> BTW, I was able to ping my router from my Linux box. That worked fine.

Maybe it auto-configured itself for NAT.  If it did, that saves you a
step.  What IP address does the router have?

Jonathan Byrne                                      Engineering Division
Exodus Communications K.K./Global Online Japan      http://www.gol.com/
Tel:  +81 3-5334-1700   Fax: +81 3-5334-1702        Direct: +81 3-5334-1756

Next Nomikai Meeting: February 18 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting:  March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD