Re: [Lingo] Usually Kanji in 国語 dictionary

On 11/09/2015 11:28 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
Steve,

Everything you need to know about kanji you learned in kindergarten
(actually by 8th grade or so, but who's counting?) ;-)

What I mean is that if you're Japanese, then basically you've absorbed
(probably by osmosis) the fact that kanji you learn later than that
are not Joyo kanji, and so newpapers and other sources that follow the
Monkasho rules strictly won't print them as kanji.  There are a few
other classes (animals, plants, sushi :-) where there's a rule that
even even there is a Joyo kanji they're normally written as kana
(though inu, neko, kome, and sakura are exceptions, and I'm sure there
are plenty of others -- but native English speakers certainly should
be used to the occasional exception in orthography!)

So it really doesn't surprise me that Japanese don't even understand
the question.  It's just YAGNI for them.

Hi Steve. Thanks for the reply. It was the first time I'd encountered the YAGNI acronym. Interesting.

So -- you're saying words using non-joyo kanji, animals, plants and sushi with exceptions (after all -- for us humans, nothing is ever simple) are all usually written in kana, right?

Steve S.