Re: [Lingo] Which kanji is correct?

On 16 May 2012 00:06, Daniel A. Ramaley <daniel.ramaley@example.com> wrote:
> In my kanji studies with Heisig's _Remembering the Kanji_ books, i
> recently came across this kanji: 喻
>
> However, i sometimes see it rendered this way: 喩
>
> Unicode has both of those kanji represented. My question is, which is
> actually correct for Japanese?

As Stephen posted, the second. Two useful URLs:
http://www.unicode.org/cgi-bin/GetUnihanData.pl?codepoint=55a9  <- the
"correct" one
http://www.unicode.org/cgi-bin/GetUnihanData.pl?codepoint=55BB&useutf8=true

As you will see, the second one lacks a "Jsource" - it does not
exist in Japanese standards. My "JIS 漢字字典" has it as a glyph variant
of the first one.

Many Japanese fonts (e.g. the old BDF I use with kterm) show the
variant rather than the correct glyph, hence the confusion. The glyph used
in Heisig may well be 喻.

Jim

--
Jim Breen
Adjunct Snr Research Fellow, Clayton School of IT, Monash University