Re: [Lingo] Buy-in

On Mon, May 14, 2012, at 13:03, dave@example.com wrote:
> "Buy-in", as used in business over the last 20 years or so, is a very
> American expression (though it's probably used everywhere now),
> essentially meaning, "commitment." In your example, one or more of the
> parties involved may have agreed to something, but they didn't really
> put any effort into making it work.

I'm surprised this bit of slang is so unfamiliar (apparently) to so many
native speakers. It seems very "normal" to me (even though I spent the
90s in Japan :-)

I would put the meaning somewhere between agreement (納得) and
committment. There's some degree of committment in "buy-in", I think,
but perhaps only to the extent of willingness to defend the decision,
but not *necessarily* to the extent of actually doing anything :-)

Dave