Re: [Lingo] English help

2012/4/15 Nguyễn Vũ Hưng <vuhung16plus@example.com>:

> Can anyone help me understand the following word, phrase (and
> translate them to Japanese if you have time)
>
> * " rigs and the leased fleet" and "warrant"
>
> in:
> 1. In 2012, <company name> will continue to reach a high revenue due
> to 2 main catalysts:
> XYZ came into operation and becomes the driver for growth,
> an average higher day rate from <company name>’s owned rigs and the
> leased fleet.

It's not one phrase. It's in two parts: "<company name>’s owned rigs"
and "the leased fleet". "rigs" can mean oil rigs, but it can also mean
large trucks, etc. It depends on the context. "leased fleet" could refer
to either ships or vehicles.

Context is king, as usual.

> 2. We expect <company name>’s profit will reach VND 1,966bn in 2012,
> increasing 15% YoY, thus EPS amount to VND 9,100 if no warrant is
> converted in this year.

Again this will depend on the context. In finance "warrant" can mean several
things. The following in the Kenkyusha 新英和大辞典 entry on "warrant" is an
indication:

4 (行為・権利などを保証する)証明書 (certificate), 認可証 (license), 領収証 (voucher), 委任状
(commission).
5 支払い命令書. ・a treasury warrant 国庫支払い命令.

Jim

--
Jim Breen
Adjunct Snr Research Fellow, Clayton School of IT, Monash University