Re: [Lingo] Bulgarian and Russian and Romanian (oh my?)

On 8 March 2011 13:00, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
> Jim Breen writes:
>  > [I've forgotten. Who WAS the guy in TLUG years ago who was quite
>  > convinced that people who wrote "centre", "neighbour", etc. only
>  > did so because they were being defiantly anti-American? Worked for one of
>  > the early Linux distros, and fled from Japan at the earliest
>  > opportunity.]
>
> The only person I can think of who fits the latter part of the
> description is Scott Something (I can't remember his last name, but it
> wasn't Robbins and he wasn't the infamous person who got his IP
> blocked from all TLUG hosts) who was from Utah and worked for
> TurboLinux.  Steve Baur worked for TurboLinux and Adrian Havill for
> Red Hat, and later left Japan, but neither could be described as
> "fleeing" Japan IMO.

Scott Stone?

Cliff Miller was from Utah. Visited me in Melbourne once.

Turbolinux was the second distro I used as I made transition
from Slackware (1994) to RedHat (1998).

> I sort of recall the comments you refer to, but I wouldn't associate
> them with any of the above.

I remember the rant really surprised me as in my technical contacts
with him he seemed, er, quite normal. Afterwards someone at a TLUG
meeting said "oh, he's always like that."

Jim

--
Jim Breen
Adjunct Snr Research Fellow, Clayton School of IT, Monash University