Re: [Lingo] Bulgarian and Russian and Romanian (oh my?)

On 7 March 2011 17:01, Stuart Luppescu <slu@example.com> wrote:

> The other prime example of mutual intelligibility of two (what people
> generally consider separate) languages is Swedish and Norwegian.

Swedes and Norwegians can understand each other with no trouble
whatsoever, unless one or both are using a strong regional dialect.
Even *I* can read Norwegian basically as well as I can read Swedish. I
imagine I'd have more trouble understanding spoken Norwegian than I do
spoken Swedish, but I'd also have trouble with regional dialects
(Skåne's dialect comes to mind).

Danish is easy for Swedes to read, but quite difficult to understand
in its spoken form. Swedes and Danes typically converse in English,
whereas Swedes and Norwegians typically each use their native
language.

I like the military definition of a language. :)

--Josh