[Lingo] Two direction full text search

Hello all,

Please take a look at:

http://eow.alc.co.jp/%E5%B0%82%E9%96%80%E5%BA%97/UTF-8/?ref=sa
#http://eow.alc.co.jp/shoppe/UTF-8/

# We can do a (full text) search in both direction J -> E or E -> J.

# It seems that when 日本語 is input, the search will only look for matches in
# the source text (日本語), not the English ones.
# Way to do one more tagging on both source language and destination language
# and it has no 絞り込み search feature.

I assume that its translation database is quite big but the search for any
text usually takes less than 1 seconds, which is quite fast.

I wonder if they are using any RMDBS like Oracle storing the translation DB. No?

If not, which is the efficient way to store and search data like this?

I am thinking of NoSQL database like MongoDB or CouchDB; albeit frankly,
I have no experience on this topic. Please give me some adives

--
Best Regards,
Nguyen Hung Vu [aka: NVH] ( in Vietnamese: Nguyễn Vũ Hưng )