Re: [Lingo] British English

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 3:41 PM, Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com> wrote:
>> As for how people speak, it's seemed to me that
>> UK-English speakers (from generic-London, for example), use more
>> difficult vocabulary, but speak slowly and clearly, thoughtfully -
>> actually pre-thinking what they're saying,
>
> My two years in Dublin exposed me to two years of British television
> (because, after all, what's good on RTE other than sports?). Having
> had this traumatic experience, I beg to differ. ;)

Ha-ha!! Thanks for pointing that out.  I just had a flashback to
watching some UK show at an Australian's apartment here in Tokyo.  I
could catch maybe 80% of what they were saying, and about 40% of the
jokes (judging by the Australian's frequent mirth).  I also got stuck
once with a couple of English guys who had lived in neighboring
villages somewhere north of London.  At a pub, they got into their
dialect and I couldn't understand anything they said.  It *sounded*
like English, but I couldn't decipher it.

About newspapers - it really is depressing seeing bad writing in
newspapers, isn't it?

Lyle