Re: [Lingo] British English

On Mon, Feb 07, 2011 at 05:06:25PM +0100, Josh Glover wrote:
> On 7 February 2011 16:14, Scott Robbins <scottro@example.com> wrote:
>

> >> Mexican Spanish is the de facto standard.
> >
> > Are you sure about that? As far as what is taught, I believe they teach
> > Castillian (sp?) Spanish.
>
> I wonder if it differs by state, actually. I'm pretty sure that in the
> south, Mexican Spanish is it, as the overwhelming majority of Spanish
> speakers in the south (especially the southwest) are Mexican. If you
> think otherwise, it may well be a state-by-state or even school
> district-by-school district difference.

As you know, I grew up in the Northeast, and, <sigh> many years before
you went to school, and possibly before your parents met.  <sniffle.>

At that time, French was probably the most common foreign language, but
the Spanish taught was, I am almost certain, standard Spanish from
Spain.  (Spanish readers forgive, I fear I'm not that familiar with your
lovely country.)

I'm not sure what they do now--I do know some people who are quite
fluent in Spanish (as it's their first or almost first language) have
mentioned that they sometimes had trouble in Spanish class.

It's quite possible that you're right about the Southwest.

Which reminds me of the great Buffy line--"I have an English test.  They
give you credit for speaking it, right?"

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6