Re: [Lingo] British English

On 7 February 2011 16:14, Scott Robbins <scottro@example.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 07, 2011 at 02:49:10PM +0100, Josh Glover wrote:
>> On 7 February 2011 11:28, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Niels Kobschaetzki writes:
>> >
>> >  > I spoke about learning foreign languages, not native
>> >  > languages. There is no standard in US-education for the spanish
>> >  > they learn?
>> >
>> > Of course not! :-)
>>
>> Mexican Spanish is the de facto standard.
>
> Are you sure about that? As far as what is taught, I believe they teach
> Castillian (sp?) Spanish.

I wonder if it differs by state, actually. I'm pretty sure that in the
south, Mexican Spanish is it, as the overwhelming majority of Spanish
speakers in the south (especially the southwest) are Mexican. If you
think otherwise, it may well be a state-by-state or even school
district-by-school district difference.

--
Cheers,
Josh