Re: [Lingo] British English

On 02/02/2011 01:46 PM, Nguyen Vu Hung wrote:
FYI,

What do you think?

I wasn't aware that religious discussions were allowed.

As an American who has worked for publishing houses in both the UK and US as a writer, editor, and publisher, I don't see as much difference between the two main dialects as some would like to make you think there is. Most people who make a big deal out of the differences are generally those who are unhappy where they are and really want to go back and live where the other is spoken. A weekend spent trying to translate among Geordies or Scousers ... or Western Kentucky, South Georgia, or East Texas, for that matter, will usually end any argument.

However, I /was/ scarred for life in the third grade when a student teacher killed off all chance for a school record one full year of 100 point spelling tests when he insisted that the word "plough" should have been spelled "plow" and counted it wrong.

--
CL