Re: [Lingo] 遅過ぎる

On 7/5/2010 9:51 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
Yes and no.  In fact, there's a more general pattern.  Verboids (verbs
and adjectives) in Japanese have a combining form, and helper verbs
like -すぎる are appended to that.  遅い ->  遅 + すぎる ->  遅すぎる.
寝る ->  寝 + すぎる ->  寝すぎる.  する ->  し + すぎる ->  しすぎる.

For verbs the combining form is the stem to which you add -ます forms.
This is the 'masu stem', right?

Thank you Stephen. I've noticed the pattern before and I'm sure it's been explaned to me before but it's finally starting to make sense.

Steve Smith