[Lingo] 遅過ぎる

Hi All.

I stumbled on 遅過ぎる while looking for something else. I think it's pronounced 「おそすぎる」, at least that's what the IME takes to create the kanji.  It doesn't show up in the on-line dictionaries I use as a word but Eijiro recognizes it as meaning "too late". I know that 「過ぎ る」 can be used as a suffix meaning basically "too much." But what is going on here? Is this 「遅い」 minus the 「い」 + 「すぎる」 or what? Is there a pattern here for い adjectives or is this just a special case? Would "too beautiful" be 美し過ぎる? The IME seems happy with that.

Thanks
Steve S.