Re: [Lingo] [tlug] Better to have "bottom-posted"?

On 10/11/09 15:57, steve smith wrote:

> With top posting the entire text is carried in each email but the thread
> tends to be lost.  In bottom posting only the context you are replying
> to is in the email and you can see the logic of the whole thread with
> your email reader.

Yet again, I notice that people still think there are only two styles:
top-posting and bottom-posting.

The preferred method on these lists is INLINE-posting, where you comment on
each point immediately after that point, having stripped unnecessary
content. E-mails formatted this way are a succession of small quotes
followed by the response, then another quoted snippet, then the response to
that etc. ad finitum.

Only if one point is being answered (as it is in this particular e-mail)
does inline posting-equate to bottom-posting.

Also, FWIW, I feel that this discussion does not belong on the "lingo" list,
which is supposed to deal with natural languages spoken by human beings, not
with posting netiquette.

--
G. Stewart - godwin.stewart@example.com

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.