Re: [Lingo] らっしゃる

2009/4/25 steve smith <sjs@example.com>:

> WWWJdict says:
> らっしゃる   (v5aru,vi,abbr,hon) to be; to come; to go

Actually it says: らっしゃる  (v5aru,vi) (abbr) (hon) to be; to come; to go
>From tomorrow it will have "(See いらっしゃる)" as well to make the "(abbr)"
clearer.

It's there because people were looking up らっしゃる and wondering what
it is.

> v5aru is "Godan verb - -aru special class"
> I couldn't find what "aru special class" is but probably  didn't look in
> the right place.

I should make it a bit clearer somewhere. It's the handful of verbs such
as なさる, ござる, etc. which have odd inflection patterns.

Jim

--
Jim Breen
Adjunct Senior Research Fellow