Re: [Lingo] Pronounciation from kanji: 下手 (へた)

G'day

On 08/02/2008, steven smith <sjs@example.com> wrote:
> > and a lot of words
> > where the reading of the word has nothing whatsover with the readings
> > of the constituent kanji. Think about words like 今日 (きょう), 田舎,
> > etc. etc.

> What had me really confused was that へ was nowhere in the
> readings for 下.  So this belongs to the third case where
> "the reading of the word has nothing whatsoever with the
> readings of the constituent kanji."

IMHO, yes.

> This is the first instance like this I'd noticed.

Never seen 今日/きょう before?

> So to
> take this a step further, if you know the on/kunyomi for the
> kanji in a word and need to find its pronunciation, first
> look at the onyomi, then the kunyomi, then the combinations
> of on/kunyomi, then ...  punt?

Well, I'd be hitting a dictionary after step 1.

A really cool server is FOKS (written by Slaven Bilacs when he was a
grad student at TIT,) See http://www.foks.info/   You can type
in raw On or Kun readings and it will find things, いまにち will find
今日.

Cheers

Jim

--