Re: [Lingo] Re: [tlug] Correct particle to use

Crossposting to tlug@example.com removed - why it was crossposted in the
first place is beyond me since it was shifted to this list...

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 14:21:18 +0900, "Josh Glover" <jmglov@example.com>
wrote:

> As someone with an interest in linguistics, I am very aware of the
> difference between prescription and description, and I agree
> scientifically that the latter is more correct.
>
> But I just cannot accept it in my heart; I'm a grammar Nazi in both
> English and Japanese. :(

Join the club.

Obviously, this thread about Japanese grammar is way above my head, but
I do tend to be pedantic when it comes to English, and it's this
pedantry that often shows up differences between British English and
American English.

For example, I was taught to not split infinitives (snicker)...

"Insure" and "ensure" mean two totally different things in British
English but AFAICS they're interchangeable in American English. In the
UK, you insure your car. Or you ensure that it is insured.

Many people in Leftpondia use "attain" when they mean "obtain".

The point is that languages evolve over time. What was dead wrong
yesterday may well be correct today, and what is correct today may be
frowned upon tomorrow.

We have to like it or lump it :(

--
G. Stewart - gstewart@example.com

Sign in a Chinese pet store: "Buy one dog, get one flea..."