Re: [Lingo] [NL] Word order

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 00:26:36 +0200, David Stibbe gmail
<dstibbe@example.com> wrote:

> I do not think it is grammatically incorrect when they are not at the
> ending, however it usually is considered poor form, just as your
> example showed.
>
> > "Waarop moet ik een duur product gaan kopen wat ik alleen maar zou
> > gebruiken voor dit ene doel, als er andere methodes zijn om
> > informatie te versturen?"
>
> There are several things wrong with this.
>

> > Firstly, shouldn't it be "een dure product"?
>
> But that, was definitely correct. It is "een duur product".

Really? So it's a kind of irregular adjective in that you don't stick
an 'e' on the end (and remove a 'u' to comply with spelling rules) when
you associate it with a noun:

Mijn woordenboek is blauw -> Ik heb een blauwe woordenboek
Mijn auto is wit -> Ik heb een witte auto
Zonnebloemen zijn geel -> Men kwekt gele zonnebloemen nabij mijn huisje

> What is wrong however is 'Waarop',  this should be 'Waarom'.
>
> 'wat' should be 'dat' (although 'wat' is often used like this, I do
> not believe it to be correct here)

Thought so... But when Jos did the translation I knew hardly any Dutch
so I let him get on with it. I'm in half a mind to go through it and
correct things that are obviously "wrong" such as the above.

> and yes, 'zou gebruiken' should be placed at the end.

And that....

> By the way:
> "Hoewel er sprake is dat Microsoft eindelijk open standaards zoals
> XML zal gebruiken in de volgende versie van Office, codenaam
> "Office12", op het moment zijn ze er erg tevreden mee om hun lippen
> stijf op elkaar te houden en te luisteren naar het zachte gerinkel
> van de kassa."
>
> should be
> "Hoewel er sprake is dat Microsoft eindelijk open standaards zoals
> XML zal gebruiken in de volgende versie van Office, codenaam
> "Office12", zijn ze er op het moment erg tevreden met het stijf op
> elkaar houden van de lippen en het luisteren naar het zachte gerinkel
> van de kassa."

Agreed, the verb should follow the subordinate clause immediately.

> "erg tevreden mee om..." is horrible....
> "erg tevreden mee" is a conclusive  remark... after that there is
> nothing. It is used in sentences as "Daar zijn we erg tevreden mee."
> What he wanted to use was "erg tevreden met" as in "Ik ben erg
> tevreden met dat ding".
>
> hope I was of any help,

You were.

It's often the case that people don't pay attention to grammar and
style when working in their own language. Many English people make
similar mistakes in English, and the French do almost invariably in
French. So, I suppose there's no reason why the Dutch should be exempt
from this behaviour :)

Dankjewel voor de hulp.

--
G. Stewart - godwin.stewart@example.com

Television -- a medium.  So called because it is neither rare nor
well done.
                -- Ernie Kovacs