Re: tlug: Offline mode in Netscape

On Fri, 31 Dec 1999, Gregory Tucker wrote:

> links. Under Windows I could avoid this by putting Netscape into
> "offline mode". Is there a way to do this under Linux's version of
> Netscape?

> Does anyone else have an ISDN router that gets yanked up all the time,
> with the associated costs of it? How do you deal with it?

I also use a dial-up ISDN link, and I deal with this by not accepting
HTML email  :-)  OK, it can get to me, but since both at home and at
work I use non-HTML mail readers (mutt and pine, respectively), it just
comes along as an attachment.  I don't get much HTML email, and when I
do, I request that it be re-sent as text.

I realize that not everyone will want to use this approach, so there is
one other way that will work: unplug the phone line from your router
before opening HTML mail that you think might contain banner ads.
If Netscape for Linux has an offline mode, I haven't found it.

This probably won't fake it out WRT mail with banner ads, but setting
Navigator to start with a blank page at least keeps it from brining a
link up when I just start it to view something on my local system.

Cheers,

Jonathan

Next Technical Meeting: January 14 (Fri) 19:00
* Topic: "glibc - current status and future developments"
* Guest Speaker: Ulrich Drepper (Cygnus Solutions)
* Place: Oracle Japan HQ 12F Seminar Room (New Otani Garden Court)