tlug: useful applications

Hello, all.

I just discovered a couple of useful, japanese-capable applications that
solved a couple of nagging problems for me, and as I hadn't seen this
information before, I thought I'd share it with everyone else. Hope it's
useful:

1) most

ftp://space.mit.edu/pub/davis/most/

It's another pager, like more/less/zless/etc. However, this one can display
japanese text AND automatically decompress gzipped files at the same time.
You can also configure the keybindings to make it work like your favorite
editor/pager.

2) vim

http://www.vim.org/

trying to make vim and jvim co-exist in peace is a pain, as jvim chokes on
the rc file from regular (newer, more feature-rich) vim. I'd nearly given
up on getting vim to work with japanese, but yesterday I discovered that
the latest version of vim (5.5) works beautifully with kinput2 in a kterm.
I haven't gotten the gui version to work correctly yet, although it does
seem to be fairly close. There are a few things you have to do to get it
working, but it's pretty simple, for the most part -- if anyone's
interested, I can share the info.

john
--
jseebach@example.com