tlug: Re: DVD-ROM on Linux?

Subba Rao writes:

 > Thanks to every one who replied. To summarize the main problem
 > with DVD are the filesystem support (in development) and CSS encryption (legal
 > barrier). Here are all the various links for DVD on linux.
 >
 > http://linuxtv.org/dvd/
 > http://linuxdvd.corepower.com/
 > http://livid.on.openprojects.net/howto.html
 > http://www.yahoo.com/Computers_and_Internet/Software/Operating_Systems/Unix/Linux/DVD/
 > http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,32249,00.html
 > http://www.linuxtv.org/dvd/
 > http://livid.on.openprojects.net/
 > http://opensource.creative.com
 > http://www.linuxdvd.org
 >
 > The only benefit, I see with this device, is entertainment. There is nothing
 > else to it. If it is entertainment only, then it is better off with Microsoft
Well, you can also benefit when you get your Linux distribution on one
DVD instead of 6 CD-ROMs. They released the latest SuSE distribution
on DVD. There are also other applications that benefit from DVD, like
traffic routing programs or encyclopedias and anything that needs
massive amounts of data. Of course at the moment DVD Video is the
major application, but why shouldn't you watch  it under Linux where
you probably wouldn't have to worry if you will be able to finish
watching the movie before your OS crashes.

Marcus

Next Nomikai: December 17 (Fri), 20:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: January 14 (Fri) 19:00
* Topic: "glibc - current status and future developments"
* Guest Speaker: Ulrich Drepper (Cygnus Solutions)
* Place: Oracle Japan HQ 12F Seminar Room (New Otani Garden Court)