tlug: A Triumph For Open Source, by me.

OK, after 2 days of trying to get this damn Sun Ultra-1 (running Solaris
2.6) to be a PPP server.. using the supplied 'asppp' and the Solstice ppp
daemon... neither of which worked worth a rat's ass (Sol 2.6 hardware rev
3) (and they worked on Solaris 2.5.1...sigh).. ANYWAY, two of us
upper-level admin types worked on this for a day and a half or so.. no
dice.  Until I remembered open source!  wow, let's download
ppp-2.3.9.tar.gz... compile.... add it to the zsmon login service.. wham,
it works.  Even does PAP auth correctly :)

Now I just have to come up with a creative story to keep the fact that I'm
using a GPL ppp daemon on a server that's going out to a national
broadcaster away from the upper management types.  But hey, the thing
*works*, and if they wont pay for a proper PPP server (cisco 2611) then
they get whatever *works*... since I have to admin this box when it gets
out to the field, too.

Scott M. Stone, CCNA <sstone@example.com>
UNIX Systems and Network Engineer
Taos - The SysAdmin Company

Next Nomikai: December 17 (Fri), 20:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: January 14 (Fri) 19:00
* Topic: "glibc - current status and future developments"
* Guest Speaker: Ulrich Drepper (Cygnus Solutions)
* Place: Oracle Japan HQ 12F Seminar Room (New Otani Garden Court)